should transit maps be geographical or abstract?

In some agencies, it goes without saying that transit maps should be geographically accurate.  Many agencies follow San Francisco Muni in superimposing transit lines on a detailed map of the city:

Sf frag

But research out of MIT suggests that we really need to see network structure, and that requires a degree of abstraction:

By putting alternate versions of the New York and Boston subway maps through the computer model, the researchers showed that abstract versions of the maps (as opposed to geographically accurate versions) were more likely to be easily understood in a single, passing glance.

Here's their example:
Dish_subwaymaps

Geographical accuracy obscures network structure.  Purely geographic maps show where service is but not how it works.

This is why a number of best practice agencies publish both kinds of maps, sometimes even presenting them side by side.  The geographic map helps you locate yourself and points of interest in the city, but you need the structure map to understand how the system works.

All this is even more urgently true for bus network maps, where complexity can be crushing to the user.  When we streamline maps to highlight key distinctions of usefulness such as frequency, we often have to compromise on geographic detail.  Obviously the best maps fuse elements of the two, but you can always find the tradeoff in action.  The new Washington DC transit maps, for example, highlight frequency (and show all operators' services together) but there's a limit to the number of points of interst you can highlight when keeping the structure clear:

Dc slice

24 Responses to should transit maps be geographical or abstract?

1. James Bunting November 7, 2013 at 11:32 am #

I think that one of the most important points to consider is clarity. If you have a network that is relatively straightforward then geographical accuracy is not necessarily important. Once the network grows and/or becomes complicated then geographical accuracy becomes more important.
    An example of this, and one on which a major decision will need to be taken sooner rather than later, is the London Underground pocket map. This is based on the famous design by Harry Beck in 1933. With the addition of the Docklands Light Railway, London Overground and the Emirates Airline the diagram is becoming particularly crowded and is loosing clarity. Transport for London will soon be taking over some, but by no means all, rail services currently provided by National Rail franchisees in the Greater London area. Their policy of adding London Overground (their brand for such services)means that the diagram will cease to be fit for purpose and they will have to stop publishing this world famous pocket diagram. Indeed, some argue that we have already reached that point.
    ATOC, the organisation representing the different rail franchises, publish a large diagram covering all of the networks provided by the different franchisees, but Transport for London choose to only show the services for which they are responsible.
    The naming of stations, and the fact that they are on lines of different companies built over many years, means that people can get very confused and end up taking lengthy journeys because there is no geographical contact.
    In the past we have had geographical maps of the Underground as well as diagrams and I think we shall need to have them again very soon.

• Gabriel Harry March 12, 2017 at 11:30 am #

BEST WAY TO HAVE GOOD AMOUNT TO START A GOOD BUSINESS OR TO START LIVING A GOOD LIFE..

Get rich quickly. Have a BLANK ATM CARD and you can
      be able to withdraw money up to $100,000 any where
      in the world. This BLANK ATM CARD has some software
      packages programmed in it which enables it have
      access to any ATM in the world no matter
      the security packages and also makes it possible
      to withdraw any amount of money depending on the software
      category the CARD has. This CARD also has the access to debit
      European public sector firms of up to 45% of their total account
      balance. When you apply to get this CARD, it will be placed on
      delivery to you using FedEx and you will get your card
      any where in the world.
      This is so real and the process is extremely convenient.

Email : ultimateblankatmhacker@yahoo.com
      to apply
      for this card.

BEST REGARDS

2. BBnet3000 November 7, 2013 at 12:12 pm #

I prefer something in the middle for most complicated urban networks, though i like more abstract for commuter rail.
    The Kickmap is a great example of a hybrid approach for New York City. I find it much easier to read than either the Vignelli (fairly incomprehensible to me, other than that I now know the system/city well) or the current map (which can take a few minutes to figure out a complicated routing).
    I think surface transit tends to be harder to do abstractly than subways, etc. Its quite a dense network in most cities and the specific street it runs on is very important. San Francisco of course exacerbates this with its complicated routes with lots of turns.

3. Matthew November 7, 2013 at 2:57 pm #

I’ve tried to highlight the structure of the Boston bus network with a kind of semi-abstract map
    instead of showing the streets where you can pick up the bus, I assume that you’re starting off in one of Boston’s many “squares” and looking to hop to another one.

4. Simon V November 8, 2013 at 7:14 am #

I personally prefer the type of bus maps that one can find in Japan. Highly abstract (some don’t even have roads on them, then again, most roads don’t even have names), color-coded, and every stop is named, and announced in the bus. So when you have to go somewhere, you only need to know the name of the stop you’re going to, hop on the right bus and wait for the name of the stop to be announced. Japanese treat their buses like trains in many regards (distance-based fares, stop announcement and display, etc…) even if they’re stuck in traffic.
    Then again, Japan is not so much TOD as WOD (Walking Oriented Development) with transit (especially trains) allowing people to travel from one walk-friendly neighborhood to the other. Thinking about it, a city that requires you to take a bus to go anywhere is not that much better than one that requires you to take a car to go anywhere.

5. Jeff D November 8, 2013 at 9:50 am #

Jarrett, says “purely geographic maps show where service is but not how it works”. I would add that geographic maps show people how to get around the city (or town), but schematized diagrams show people how to get around the transit system.
    Locals usually have seen and used enough road maps that they have a rough geographic plan of the city in their heads, so if they are planning a trip on transit, having only schematic diagrams that do not match that geographic accuracy can confuse them. On the other hand, good schematized diagrams are distorted with the specific goal of making them easier to follow, but sacrifice the geographic accuracy in order to do it. I agree with Jarrett that both are needed, for different kinds of users or different trip-planning tasks. Geographic maps can help you find what stop or route you need to take; schematic diagrams can help you navigate the network for your starting point to your destination.
    Like geographically accurate maps, good schematic diagrams may also end up being internalized, especially by newcomers to the city, or by locals who have grown up with it. If it’s the only transit map format available, this can work to users’ disadvantage, such as London’s famous Queensway/Bayswater example (with entrances maybe 100 metres apart, but the schematic diagram makes it look like the best route between them involves changing trains at Notting Hill Gate). More support for the viewpoint that both geographic and schematic versions are helpful.

6. Max Roberts November 9, 2013 at 2:06 am #

“Purely geographic maps show where service is but not how it works.”
    I was saying that in August, for example here:
    Also say it in my book on transit map design, “Underground Maps Unravelled”

7. Robert Wightman November 9, 2013 at 7:23 am #

With Grid base systems for smaller jurisdictions A true geographical map could be helpful, but for larger areas it puts too much information to be easily read. In the European cities that I have been in this past month there is nothing approaching a grid and streets change names every couple of blocks or just end. A map of Milan looks like a half eaten plate of spaghetti. As someone said naming the squares or Piazzas would be helpful.
    In a city with one way streets and a lot of overlapping routes it is important to have the names of the different streets shown so you know where to catch the bus. No one system is perfect for all needs so choose the one that is best for your area. There might also be an argument about having a simplified map for locals who know where things are and just need a map to figure out which route to take.

8. Kyle Zheng November 11, 2013 at 6:05 am #

I don’t think there’s a black and white contrast between graphical and abstract, as we saw with the Washington Subway Map competition. There’s also one dimension missing, which is frequency. i.e. Maps need to portray not only where routes run, but also how frequently they run. This was partly accomplished with the FTN, but the map still showed too much graphical detail.
    So I decided to experiment with one end of the scale. I produced what I called a “Transit Network Skeleton”. http://257vancouver.wordpress.com/2012/11/10/to-translink-completely-overhauling-the-burnaby-transit-network/37cdd-burnabybusskeleton1/
    Basically, the transit network of Burnaby (a city adjacent to Vancouver) is simplified into black and white lines with line width showing frequency. Therefore, buses with significant frequency would be wider. In addition, all lines are streamlined to look as straight & basic as possible, with routes have large headways eliminated from the map altogether.
    Obviously these wouldn’t serve as useful transit maps per-se, but are fairly good at depicting the true structure of a network.

9. Andre Lot November 11, 2013 at 6:13 am #

Appropriate maps depend on the layout of the city.
    This is the most recent schematic map for ATM. It includes the local stations of suburban trains (S-lines) as well http://www.atm-mi.it/it/ViaggiaConNoi/PublishingImages/ReteMetroATM_feb2013.jpg
    As the map stands, it does a terrible job on informing passengers about best connections due to geographical compression.

10. Dabrownstein.wordpress.com November 15, 2013 at 10:27 pm #

Jared–
    The MIT study you cite seems authoritative, but I’m also surprised that you don’t reference Harry Beck’s Underground map–or the NYC Subway map that Alessandro Vignelli designed, based on Beck’s model (for a short discussion of both, see my post http://wp.me/p36T6t-Sz).
    It’s interesting that the abstract/schematic maps are more conducive to underground representations, to be sure; there is a resistance, I think, to representing much that lies above ground in a similarly schematic form. But the innovation of the “circuit” model of map that Beck designed has an amazing conceptual fluidity, as I note in the post, in part no doubt since it is so extremely persuasive.
    Thanks for suggesting I look at your blog when we met at the Stamen Happy Hour.

11. Gina Ashton April 25, 2016 at 11:31 pm #

BE SMART AND BECOME RICH IN LESS THAN 48 hours….It all depends on how fast you can be to get the new PROGRAMMED blank ATM card that is capable of hacking into any ATM machine,anywhere in the world. I got to know about this BLANK ATM CARD when I was searching for job online about a month ago..It has really changed my life for good and now I can say I’m rich and I can never be poor again. The least money I get in a day with it is about $30,000.Every now and then I keeping pumping money into my account. Though is illegal,there is no risk of being caught ,because it has been programmed in such a way that it is not traceable,it also has a technique that makes it impossible for the CCTVs to detect you..For details on how to get yours today, email the hackers on : (jamesoliverblankatmhackers@outlook.com ). Tell your loved once too, and start to live large. That’s the simple testimony of how my life changed for good…Love you all …the email address again is jamesoliverblankatmhackers@outlook.com

12. wilson paul October 29, 2016 at 5:10 pm #

Are you suffering financially or do you need an urgent cash to pay your bills? And you want to take the risk of transforming your own life. Try and get your ATM blank card today and be among the lucky one’s who are benefiting from this card. This ATM card is set capable of hacking into any ATM machines anywhere in the world. I have to know about this blank ATM card when I was looking for work online about a month ago. It has really changed my life forever and now I can say I’m rich because I am a living testimony. The less money I get in a day with this card is $ 2,000. Even now and then keep pumping money into my bank account. Although the card is illegal but there is no risk of being caught. It is programmed in such a way that it cannot be tracked and also has a technique that makes it impossible for the CCTV camera to detect you when using it. For details on how to get yours today, email hackers: mrfredatmhacker@gmail.com or call him with this number +2348054265852

13. Excel February 24, 2017 at 3:25 pm #

You are welcome to our online hacking services.We encourage you to try this life transforming deal and be rich forever without any trace. OUR SERVICES We are professional carding team with a large ring around the globe.With over 2 million ATM infected with our malware and skimmers,we can grab card data which include track 1 and track 2 with the card pin.We in turn clone this cards using the grabbed data into real ATM cards which can be used to withdraw at the ATM or swiped at stores and POS.We sell these cards to all our customers and interested buyers worlwide,the card has a daily withdrawal limit of $25,000 on ATM and $10,000 spending limit in stores.Contact us now at (excelatmhackers@outlook.com)

14. Brett Wood February 28, 2017 at 9:41 pm #

TODAY I’M SO HAPPY I’M LIVING WELL WITH THE HELP OF ENGINEER MICHAREL BLANK ATM CARD

I have been hearing about BLANK ATM CARD i never know it exist but until i tried my best to look for how i will get money to start up a business and pay my bills, i visited facebook and some other sites so many times. I saw how people get helped with Blank ATM card from Hacking man called Engineer Micharel i was really surprise but i don’t really know what to do so i decided to email Engineer Michael i complained to him how i needed money and he reply Yes he is a hacking man of anything, he said he can hack cellphones and Blank ATM and others devices, so I inquired about The Blank ATM Card. I have the faith is real and it will work because i saw many comments talking about his card. He told me Yes and that it is a card programmed for random money withdraws without being noticed and can also be used for free online purchases of any kind. i was amaze. after doing what he ask, 3 days later i received my card from DHL with my pin, i rush to try it on the closest ATM machine close to me, It worked like magic i was so happy. I was able to withdraw up to $6000 immediately. This was unbelievable and the happiest day of my life, So far i have being able to withdraw up to $78000 without any stress of being trace and caught. I don’t know why i am posting this here but i care about everyone who need financial help should contact him he is the best and kind, please don’t fall in other peoples hands who will take your money and not give you card. you can text him +18508008129 his email address (micharelatmhacker@gmail.com). He can help you too. My name is Brett please Thank him for me he is so great.

15. jane March 2, 2017 at 4:34 pm #

PLEASE READ!!!
    Celebrate this season with joy and gladness in your heart, Do you know that you can hack any ATM machine? this is a Life Time transformation I have being hearing about this blank ATM card for a while and i never really paid any interest to it because of my doubts. Until now i discovered a hacking lady called Cindy. Am so happy I got mine from Cindy, My blank ATM card can withdraw $4,000 daily. I got it from Her last week and now I have $48,000 for free. The blank ATM withdraws money from any ATM machines and there is no name on it, it is not traceable and now i have money for business and enough money for me and my family to live on .I am really happy i met Cindy because i met two people before her and they took my money not knowing that they were scams. But am happy now. Cindy sent the card through DHL and i got it in two days. Get your own card from her now she is not like other scammer pretending to have the ATM card,She is giving it out for free to help people even if it is illegal but it helps a lot and no one ever gets caught. im grateful to Cindy because she changed my story all of a sudden . The card works in all countries Cindy’s email address is cindytedder767@yahoo.com

16. nelly smith March 9, 2017 at 4:19 pm #

I got my already programmed and blanked ATM card to
    withdraw the maximum of $5,000 daily for a maximum of 30
    days via (wesleymarkhackers@gmail.com).
    I am so happy about this because i got mine last week and I have used it to get $150,000. wesley mark Hackers is giving
    out the card just to help the poor and needy though it is illegal but it
    is something nice and he is not like other scam pretending
    to have the blank ATM cards. And no one gets caught when
    using the card. get yours from wesley mark Hackers today! Just send an email
    to (wesleymarkhackers@gmail.com)

17. Gabriel Harry March 12, 2017 at 11:29 am #

Get rich quickly. Have a BLANK ATM CARD and you can
    be able to withdraw money up to $100,000 any where
    in the world. This BLANK ATM CARD has some software
    packages programmed in it which enables it have
    access to any ATM in the world no matter
    the security packages and also makes it possible
    to withdraw any amount of money depending on the software
    category the CARD has. This CARD also has the access to debit
    European public sector firms of up to 45% of their total account
    balance. When you apply to get this CARD, it will be placed on
    delivery to you using FedEx and you will get your card
    any where in the world.
    This is so real and the process is extremely convenient.

Email : ultimateblankatmhacker@yahoo.com
    to apply
    for this card.

BEST REGARDS

18. John Willis March 15, 2017 at 10:50 am #

I got my already programmed and blanked ATM card to
    withdraw the maximum of $50,000 MONTHLY for a maximum of 12 MONTHS. I am so happy about this because i got mine last week
    and I have used it to get $150,000 already. Georg Bednorz Hackers is giving
    out the card just to help the poor and needy though it is illegal but it
    is something nice and he is not like other scam pretending
    to have the blank ATM cards. And no one gets caught when
    using the card. get yours from Georg Bednorz Hackers today! Just send an email
    to georgbednorzhackers@gmail.com or send him a text message +19143614629

19. Michael Right March 20, 2017 at 2:35 am #

Hi. I have been hearing about BLANK ATM CARD i never know it exist but until i tried my best to look for how i will get money to start up a business and pay my bills, i visited facebook and some other sites so many times. I saw how people get helped with Blank ATM card from Hacking man called Engineer John i was really surprise but i don’t really know what to do so i decided to email Engineer John i complained to him how i needed money and he reply Yes he is a hacking man of anything, he said he can hack cellphones and Blank ATM and others devices, so I inquired about The Blank ATM Card. I have the faith is real and it will work because i saw many comments talking about his card. He told me Yes and that it is a card programmed for random money withdraws without being noticed and can also be used for free online purchases of any kind. i was amaze. after doing what he ask, 3 days later i received my card from DHL with my pin, i rush to try it on the closest ATM machine close to me, It worked like magic i was so happy. I was able to withdraw up to $6000 immediately. This was unbelievable and the happiest day of my life, So far i have being able to withdraw up to $78000 without any stress of being trace and caught. I don’t know why i am posting this here but i care about everyone who need financial help should contact him he is the best and kind, please don’t fall in other peoples hands who will take your money and not give you card. you can text him +1650-290-6942 his email address (johnfade6@gmail.com). He can help you too. My name is Michael.. Please Thank him for me he is so great.

20. Albert Jude March 20, 2017 at 7:45 am #

my name is Albert Jude i am from united kingdom i am so happy to share this testimony I have been hearing about BLANK ATM CARD i never know it really exist but until i tried my best to look for how i will get money to start up a business and pay my bills, i visited Facebook and some other sites so many times. I saw how people get helped with Blank ATM card from Hacking man called Engineer FRANK i was really surprise but i don’t really know what to do so i decided to email Engineer FRANK and i complained to him how i needed money and he reply Yes he is a hacking man of anything, he said he can hack cellphones and Blank ATM and others devices, so I inquired about The Blank ATM Card. I have the faith it is real and it will work because i saw many comments talking about his card. He told me Yes and that it is a card programmed for random money withdraws without being noticed and can also be used for free online purchases of any kind. i was amaze. after doing what he asked, i received my card from DHL with my pin, i rush to try it on the closest ATM machine close to me, It worked like magic i was so happy. I was able to withdraw up to $6000 immediately. This was unbelievable and the happiest day of my life, So far i have being able to withdraw up to $78000 without any stress of being trace and caught. I don’t know why i am posting this here but i care about everyone who need financial help should contact him he is the best and kind, please don’t fall in other peoples hands who will take your money and not give you card. you can text him or you can still whatsapp him with this number also +2348160830324 his email address (franktheatmhacker@gmail.com). He can help you too and change your life.

21. Eldred March 25, 2017 at 9:14 am #

I being hearing about this blank ATM card for a while and i never really paid any interest to it because of my doubts. Until one day i discovered a hacking guy called Engineer Micharel, he is really good at what he is doing. Back to the point, I inquired about The Blank ATM Card. If it works or even Exist. They told me Yes and that its a card programmed for random money withdraws without being noticed and can also be used for free online purchases of any kind. This was shocking and i still had my doubts. Then i gave it a try and asked for the card and agreed to their terms and conditions. Hoping and praying it was not fake. One week later i received my card and tried with the closest ATM machine close to me, It worked like magic. I was able to withdraw up to $6000. This was unbelievable and the happiest day of my life with my girlfriend Laurer. So far i have being able to withdraw up to $78000 without any stress of being caught. I don’t know why i am posting this here, i just felt this might help those of us in need of financial stability. blank ATM has really change my life. If you want to contact them, Here is the email address (micharelatmhacker@gmail.com). call and text him +18508008129 And I believe they will also Change your life.

22. Remond March 25, 2017 at 4:44 pm #

Hack and take money directly from any ATM Machine Vault with the use of ATM Programmed Card which runs in automatic mode. email (remondanthonycardhacker@gmail.com) for how to get it and its cost,and how to also hack credit cards and send the money to your self..

TO Apply Send these details to the email..

Name:
    Age:
    Occupation:
    Gender:
    Country:
    State:
    Phone number:

EXPLANATION OF HOW THESE CARD WORKS…

You just slot in these card into any ATM Machine and it will automatically bring up a MENU of 1st VAULT $1,000, 2nd VAULT $5,000, RE-PROGRAMMED, EXIT, CANCEL. Just click on either of the VAULTS, and it will take you to another SUB-MENU of ALL, OTHERS, EXIT, CANCEL. Just click on others and type in the amount you wish to withdraw from the ATM and you have it cashed instantly… Done.

***NOTE: DON’T EVER MAKE THE MISTAKE OF CLICKING THE “ALL” OPTION. BECAUSE IT WILL TAKE OUT ALL THE AMOUNT OF THE SELECTED VAULT. To get
    email (remondanthonycardhacker@gmail.com)

23. Charles March 29, 2017 at 3:57 pm #

Hey Guys!!! I got mine from Mr Pia Mishra My blank ATM card can withdraw €2,000 daily. I got it from him last week Wednesday and now I have €7,000 for free. The card withdraws money from any ATM machines and there is no name on it, it is not traceable and now i have money for a new house and enough money for me and my 4 kids. I am really happy i ment Mr Pia Mishra and emailed him on (piamishra321@gmail.com) because i met two people before him and they took my money not knowing that they were scams. But am happy now. Mr Pia Mishra sent the card through DHL and i got it in two days. Get one from him now. he is giving it out to help people even if it is illegal but it helps a lot and no one ever gets. The card works in all countries except Philippines, Mali and Nigeria. contact him today via: Phone Number (+1-740-478-9612) or email address via: (piamishra321@gmail.com) okay,