Jarrett Walker + Associates is a small consulting firm that specializes in public transit planning. Our clients are mostly local and state government agencies but can also include corporations, nonprofits, and other entities. We have a staff of 14 in two locations.
We are looking for an Administrative and Marketing Assistant in our headquarters in Portland, Oregon. The job requires one year of relevant work experience and has the potential to grow substantially in responsibility and compensation.
The successful applicant will need to be comfortable with some informality in dress and work hours, but also be highly organized and professional.
Starting pay in the range of $18-30/hour, depending on skills and experience. (We pay this as a salary, calculated from actual hours worked.) You would work at least 30 hours/week. Our generous benefits program, which would fully cover you, includes “Gold” medical and dental, disability, paid vacation, medical leave, 401k (after one year) and a free transit pass.
The job description includes:
- Implementing administrative procedures for a small consulting firm, in consultation with senior staff.
- Doing some clerical tasks with patience and attention to detail.
- Helping us maintain and improve our marketing tools and materials, including but not limited to past project descriptions, the firm’ website, Jarrett Walker’s blog and others.
- Helping us prepare proposals (bids).
- Helping us find and track opportunities to submit proposals.
- Supporting the Business Manager in tasks related to billing.
- Managing basic needs to keep the office running smoothly and allow colleagues to focus on their work for clients.
- Occasionally managing contractors involved in physical office improvements or maintenance.
An interest in urban planning and transit is helpful but not essential. This is primarily an administration and marketing position with the potential to grow into a Marketing Manager role.
The job requires:
- At least 1 year of prior work experience that demonstrates some of the skills listed below – ideally in administrative support, communications, or marketing support.
- Complete fluency in spoken and written English, including the ability to write clearly and accurately with a friendly but professional tone.
- Ability to communicate professionally by email, web, and phone.
- Ability to do detailed and sometimes tedious tasks with low error rate.
- Resourcefulness in solving a range of problems.
- Comfort with very open and frank communication within the organization. We work hard to avoid developing “office politics.”
- Proficiency in MS Word and Excel.
- Some experience working in Adobe Creative Suite, ideally Photoshop and InDesign, or similar document preparation and graphics tools.
- Willingness to “pitch in” and help with whatever needs to be done at the moment.
- Full vaccination against Covid-19, or evidence of being in a group that cannot be vaccinated.
The following are highly advantageous:
- Prior experience preparing or submitting proposals or bids.
- Website management and/or social media advertising and promotion experience.
- Professional writing and editing.
The initial review of resumes will use a race-blind and gender-blind hiring process. To this end, we do not yet want to know your name, gender, or race.
- Edit your resume to remove your name and all indications of race and gender. If quoting people referring to you, please black out pronouns or replace them with they/their/them.
- If you have important qualifications that strongly imply your gender or race, such as a role in a Black or women’s organization, these are valid and should not be omitted just to satisfy this requirement.
- Provide an email address and phone number as your only contact information.
- Provide a cover letter, also unsigned and not referring to your race or gender, explaining your qualifications. We will treat this as an example of your writing.
Based on these submissions we will select finalists, who will go through a more conventional process of interviews and reference checks. We will want to know your name only at that point.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to [email protected] by September 16. You can also send questions to that address, but please put “question” in the subject line.
If shortlisted for an interview, you will be asked to provide names and telephone contact information for three references. References can be anyone you have worked with closely, and who can tell stories that show you have the necessary skills and style, including former employers, coaches, volunteer coordinators, professors, colleagues, etc.
Thank you for your interest in this position.